The Hebrew word malei means “full” – which is exactly how you’ll feel after partaking of this hummus dish! And we’d like to introduce one more way to serve up hummus – as a background to perfectly seasoned ground meat, topped with caramelized shawarma-flavored onions.
If you’ve got a group of friends ready to share this with you, definitely double up on the ingredients. You can use leftovers for an awesome sandwich on a sub with lettuce and tomato – no mayo needed!
- 1 lb ground beef or dark meat turkey
- 2 onions, diced
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- Your favorite hummus
- Pereg shawarma seasoning
- Ground red pepper, optional
- Olive oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan. Add ground meat and break up chunks, cooking until meat is no longer pink. (pressing down with the back of a fork does a good job of breaking up the meat). Stir in 1/2 cup marinara.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons shawarma seasoning, and a dash of black pepper. Transfer meat to a bowl. Taste, and add more seasoning (and red pepper) if desired.
- In the same pan, heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Sautee onions until golden and caramelized. Season with 1 tablespoon shawarma seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Spread hummus out onto a serving plate, leaving a well in the middle. Fill the well with ground beef, placing fried onions in the center.
- Serve with warm pita wedges or pita chips to scoop up the hummus.