If your experience with kosher wine is drinking one too many glasses of Manischewitz at the seder, it might surprise you to hear that the kosher wine business is booming. In fact, you can’t go anywhere in Israel without stumbling over a boutique winery.
While kosher wine was once a bit of a joke, these days it’s winning awards and accolades and even connoisseurs are swigging back bottles of the stuff.
And it’s not just popular in Israel. It’s a thing in America too – and not only among Jews. In fact, it’s been a stable in various communities since the days of Prohibition in the 1920s.
- An Overview of Israeli Wine
- Kosher USA – Roger Horowitz
- Wine Route Of Israel – Adam Montefiore
- From the American Scene: Wine Like Mother Used to Make – Commentary Magazine
- ‘Man, Oh Manischewitz’: When The Jewish Wine Was Big With Gentiles, Too – NPR
- Mambo Shevitz – The Crows
- Manischewitz Almonetta Wine with Sammy Davis Jr.