Before I knew anything about anything, I used to throw away those gorgeous green and red stalks that came “free” with my purchase of beets. Matter of fact, I would ask the grocer to cut them off for me right there in the store so I didn’t have to deal with messy stalks hanging out of my bags.
Now that I’ve started hanging out with health nuts and absorbing their wisdom through osmosis, I’ve learned that messy stalks are my friends. And when I turn those messy stalks into some seriously appetizing salads, everyone’s my friend.
Beet Greens, Feta and Apple Salad RecipePrint
- 1 bunch of greens
- 3 small beets
- 1 honeycrisp or gala apple
- 1/3 cup walnut or pecan pieces
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- Dash ground cloves
- Dash cumin
- Dash black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Wash beets, and place in a high heat baking pan. Cover and bake until soft, about one hour.
- Meanwhile, wash and slice the beet greens and apple.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- When beets are cooked, slip off skins and slice into wedges or julienned slices.
- To assemble salad, place beet greens in a large bowl, then add beets. Sprinkle with apple slices, walnuts and feta.
- Drizzle a light amount of dressing over salad, and toss gently.